I've noticed a number of people having trouble with streaming recently. In these cases a recommendation of using a Pli image (usually Jade) is often suggested but for various reasons people may not wish to change their current image. For instance, I like Gemini images and currently run 4.70.
The main reason that Pli images are good for streaming is their excellent 'zapstream' stream server but 'zapstream' can be installed in your current image! It is not difficult to install but you must be careful as editing of two Dreambox system files is required.
I have attached to this post, the required files for a DM7000 (also useable on DM7020, DM500 (not HD) & DM600) and some screen-grabs of the editing. Download the zs_files.zip folder and unzip the *******s to a convenient folder on your PC/Laptop. Use the files as required in the installation procedure, below.
The procedure for installation is as follows:-
1. Ftp file zapstream to Dreambox folder /sbin
2. From your ftp program, a telnet session or otherwise - chmod 755 /sbin/zapstream
3. Ftp file zapstream.conf to Dreambox folder /var/etc (or folder /etc)
4. ##** With Great Care **##
Edit Dreambox file /etc/services to add the zapstream entry at the bottom.
Use a Linux/Unix compatible editor and follow screen-grab services.jpg
Check it twice, then check again before saving the file back to the Dreambox!
5. ##** With Great Care **##
Edit Dreambox file /etc/inetd.conf to add the zapstream entry at the bottom.
As before, use a Linux compatible editor and follow inetd_conf.jpg
Check, check & check again before saving to Dreambox
NB. If either of the edits is incorrect or other parts of the file are accidentally changed your Dreambox may not work or may work incorrectly after reboot -- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
6. Reboot the Dreambox
7. Ensure that VLC is installed on your PC/Laptop and that it is the default program to open/play m3u files.
8. Copy the file zapstream.m3u to a convenient place on your PC/Laptop (say to your desktop).
9. Edit the file zapstream.m3u and change 192.168.0.24 to the correct IP for your Dreambox.
10. Open the Enigma Webif and select a channel or turn on the Dreambox.
11. Double click the zapstream.m3u file, VLC starts and streams the channel.
12. Either from the Webif or using the Dreambox remote control, select a different channel.
VLC streams the new channel, without needing to be closed and restarted!
I have only tried this with my DM7000 (Enigma 1) but the attached zapstream binary should work with the other PPC Dreambox models, DM7020, DM500 (not DM500HD) & DM600.
For the Enigma 2 Dreamboxes DM7025, DM500HD, DM800, DM8000, (MIPS) it should still be possible, so long as a MIPS zapstream binary file can be obtained for use in Item 1 of the installation procedure. All other files and parts of the procedure should remain the same or very similar.
Hope this is of interest and help?
Best wishes, John.
Attached Images Attached Files